Go Back   Melanie Rawn > Melanie's Books > Spellbinder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #46
Prophetess

Not me. I'm completely petrified. She's even scarier in person. And don't get me started on her driving...
Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #47
Melanie Rawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caityri View Post
"By the way, I'm guessing this isn't going to be the long-awaited sequel to 'Jerusalem Lost'"
"No."
"No medieval stuff? No swords and castles?"
"This will be contemporary. Even topical." She paused. "People won't be very happy."
He grinned again. "Fuck 'em."
Just as an observation, has anybody considered that it's not the writer character who says this, but instead her husband--who isn't a writer?
The Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #48
Pickles ruin everything!

Send a message via MSN to Deliia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creator View Post
Just as an observation, has anybody considered that it's not the writer character who says this, but instead her husband--who isn't a writer?
Personally, I laughed my arse off when I read it, and thought "Good one Melanie!".
Deliia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #49

On the one hand, I kind of agree. Yes, of course I'm not upset at having read RoA and MT before CT was complete -- after all, RoA is how I met my husband. On the other hand, I can't say I would have put in the emotional investment had I known I would be waiting till our 11th anniversary of meeting (and beyond) for the trilogy to be completed. We're naming the daughter with whom I'm currently pregnant Cailet; I only hope she's not in middle school before we learn what becomes of the original.

Honestly, that's just the nature of the beast when you work for a living. The people who shell out their money, time and emotional energy to invest in what you do will ultimately want what they feel they've paid for, whether financially or otherwise. I felt kind of gypped by the last two books, not just because they were a deferral from CT's completion. I'm not surprised a lot of other people feel the same way. Though I also understand that, as an artist, you sometimes have to make poor financial decisions in order to make correct emotional, mental and psychological ones. I hope that's ultimately what this is; a necessary departure in order to complete the original journey.
Mama Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Wrench View Post
The people who shell out their money, time and emotional energy to invest in what you do will ultimately want what they feel they've paid for, whether financially or otherwise. I felt kind of gypped by the last two books, not just because they were a deferral from CT's completion.
I would dance with joy if CT came out. I've been waiting for it since high school. But I don't feel as if the Spellbinder books should have any bearing on CT (or lack thereof). I would rather an author I enjoyed continue to put out work instead of withdrawing and not producing anything.

I wish I could expand upon that but I currently have 2 kids hanging off each side of me and one is giving me clown kisses, which is pretty distracting. But anyhow, I paid for the first two books and I don't feel owed anything. I used to. Then
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #51
Prophetess

Heh heh! Just couldn't finish that thought could you, Arrowhead? Well maybe later on the kids will release their hostage and you'll get to come back!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #52

Gah. What I meant to say was something along the lines of disagreeing with the notion that someone's investment in the first two books of a trilogy won't pay off if the third never comes out. I'm glad I read the first two books because they were, well... good books. I never felt gypped and the idea that I might "feel I paid for" the 3rd book just sits wrong with me, and is why I delurked!

And now the baby is crying and I am going back to lurkmode I *did* post when she had fallen asleep but she seems to think that 20 minutes is an acceptable evening's kip.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #53
Prophetess

You know, that is an interesting point. That unfinished trilogy has brought me untold hours of entertainment, reading, visiting here, and researching Collan's background. What a deal!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #54

That's true..... I've finished countless trilogies and never felt the need to visit other authors websites let alone stick around and chat to fans.

If Melanie had written CT, would we be here at all?

Personally, my answer would probably be "No". So in that, I am thankful that she hasn't completed it. I have come to look to you guys as friends and love to come here and find out what everyone is up to.

That's not to say that I am not totally dying to get my hands on CT or even just to know what happens.......
christroybels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #55
Prophetess

I hadn't thought about it that way. Without the mystery of Collan, I doubt I'd have stuck around the BB too. Hmmm.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #56
The Repatriated Expat

Send a message via AIM to Lady Ara Send a message via MSN to Lady Ara
And you know, to be perfectly honest, I think if I had CT in my hands right now, I wouldn't know what to do with it or myself!
Lady Ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #57

Duh!!!! You'd read it?!!! And so would I
cellogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #58

I wasn't all that thrilled with the Spellbinder books, so I'm just happy to hear that Melanie's going ahead with a new high fantasy series.

As for CT... Well, I just have to shrug. If it comes out, I'll read it, if not... Oh, well.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #59
Prophetess

The above two spam posts have been reported. I noted they have the same IP address, which makes me think that banning takes more time than it's worth. Carry on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: