Go Back   Melanie Rawn > Melanie's Books > Exiles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Prophetess

I've still got one child and one budding tweener, but I'm getting there. :-)

What is poutine?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #32

I always thought that as kids got older, they would get easier, and while this is somewhat true, no one mentioned hormones!1

Try having a 2 boys and a girl with raging hormones + 1 who is on the cusp. Talk about attitude. At least Master 17 has got a licence now so is some help with errands......
christroybels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #33
Prophetess

You have my profoundest sympathy. I think the preschool years are pretty easy. I know how to deal with those problems! It's the complicated ones that arise as they get older that will do me in.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #34

When people ask me if I have any kids I always give them the same answer: Are you Kidding? I still AM one!
Zyvuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #35

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I maybe old....68...but when I read the 2 books of The Exiles....I formed a quick bond withl Collan...and when he died...I felt like part of my heart had been torn out....I have read a lot of books...and have felt for a lot of charactors...but Collan got to me....I would hope....in some small way....the Collan could come back....that he did not really die....the he is in limbo somewhere....I actually cried for him...and was depressed for a few days....miracles do happen...maybe Melenda can find some way...to resurrect Collan....just my opinon..

Last edited by Hawkeye : 07-16-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: SPOILER ALERT
leapinglena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #36
Prophetess

Hey, welcome to the group leapinglena. You never know, maybe you'll get your wish.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #37

I wish I could say I was Warded for the last 42 years -- spelled against setting foot anywhere in the Epic/High Fantasy section of our bookstores -- and thereby missed out on Melanie Rawn’s books and all the other great fantasy novels since the 1980s. But that wasn’t the case. I simply did not know about Melanie Rawn (not much, anyway). And our local bookstores simply did not know any better.

Fortunately, in a random moment of boredom and curiosity (and regrettable penury), I stumbled upon a copy of “Exiles: The Ruins of Ambrai” in a second-hand bookshop. The paperback was in fairly good condition, the art work by Michael Whelan was eye-catching (the red-headed guy with the lute, who I later found out was Collan, was suitably mesmerizing), and the synopsis was promising and appealing enough (three Mageborn sisters, magical intrigues, political ambitions --- okay, I’m in). I seemed to vaguely recall coming across the author’s name in a blog about recommended SF/F writers (I’m essentially new to the epic/high fantasy genre and just starting to educate myself) --- so I decided to give it a try and went home with a slightly worn, faintly musty but intact copy of Ambrai, ready to get acquainted with Melanie Rawn.

That was barely a month ago.

Now, as I type this entry and try to express the afterglow of a deeply satisfying read, it does feel like an imaginary Ward had been released. :P

Naturally, it did not take long for RoA to claim attention and weave its narrative magic. I was taken in by the richness of the tale and detailed world-building, the ever-expanding cast of characters, and the author’s deft, judicious style of writing --- simply put, it was downright smart and entertaining. When pressed to describe the book to friends, I actually used Malerissi-inspired phrases like “clever & intricately woven” and “richly-layered tapestry” because, truly told, it was that and so much more. And the humor --- goodness, the humor… I lost count of the times I would suddenly laugh at some reference of weird sartorial taste --- most of the time inserted when least expected… I really could not gush enough on Melanie Rawn’s mastery of prose and her perceptive take on social and moral issues -- but excessive fawning has its disadvantages, so I’ll stop there haha…

But I didn’t stop at RoA, of course. For practical reasons, I opted to check eBay first for “The Mageborn Traitor” and, much to my delight, found the only paperback sold on eBay Philippines (where I’m from, by the way). Thankfully, it was brand-new this time and bought at a very good price since I saved so much on freight charges (buying from Amazon and other retailers overseas would have meant paying for international shipping rate 3 to 4 times more than the price of the book itself --- and this I couldn’t afford to do at the moment). Last time I checked, our local bookstores still didn’t have Melanie Rawn books.

That said, and this treatise has gone on too long, let me just share that, predictably, I tore through MT in 3 days, maybe 4 --- this happened just a couple of days ago. I suppose tearing through 200 pages a day of an Exiles book was an exhilarating exercise but still guaranteed to give one a headache afterward haha.. I loved, loved MT, too (despite a few negligible typo errors in my copy), and the two Exiles volumes now have a special place in my reading collection. Saints and Wraiths permitting, I look forward to the day when the tale of The Captal’s Tower is finally told.

Meantime, I have 2 books I don’t mind reading all over again.

Last edited by Mostly_Harmless : 06-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Mostly_Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #38
Prophetess

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It's been sooooo looooong for many of us. I've almost forgotten what that first read was like! :-)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #39

^ uhm... yes, but apparently the Ladder needs some fixing. :P

Lady B: yup, I did a little math and it's been like, 15 years or so, after MT! I just learned some of you started reading the books at age 11, 13 or thereabouts --- wow (eleven?!)...

As for the third book, hopefully it would be a much shorter wait for me, if ever.

Going into the series, I learned, of course, that the wait has been excruciatingly long -- and I’ve read dire warnings not to touch Exiles because CT probably won’t get finished anyway, that there are closure issues, that new readers will just end up disappointed, etc. etc... I can understand why this would bother/dishearten/frustrate a lot of people.

Then again, I'm now properly stoked to want to see the outcome of all this waiting… Let it all play out, as one Mage Captal once said hehe… So I happily join your camp to sit and wait for hopefully a few Moons more.

Meantime, I have enough material to keep me tangled for a while --- and I really do need to read back the books (I inadvertently skipped some pages in my excitement to reach the last chapters haha)… Good thing this site has just about studied and analyzed the books six ways to the Wraithenwood --- and there are plenty of guides for prentices yet unfamiliar with all the Webs in Lenfell.
Mostly_Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Melanie Rawn > Melanie's Books > Exiles

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: